12 Carrier or Base Oils for Essential Oils
Using essential oils on their own are too highly concentrated to use directly on your skin, especially when using high quality and pure essential oils like those offered through Young Living (if you are just introducing essential oils in your home, please do your research on the quality of oils that you are looking to invest in). It is important to dilute these highly concentrated essential oils with distilled water and/or plant based, or natural base/carrier oils.
Some of the best vegetable nut or seed oils include (to name a few):
1. Almond Oil - is best for massage oils, bath oils, soaps and skin care products. It can cause skin reactions in those allergic to nuts, so a patch test is recommended.
2. Avocado Oil - is a good oil for dry skin remedies and body creams, unless prone to acne. Can also be used as a massage oil.
3. Carrot Oil - has antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties that may improve skin health and appearance.
4. Evening Primrose - has a reputation for being good for aging skin, reduce eczema and nourishes skin, hair and nails. It has also been used in dandruff reduction as well as soothing inflammation.
5. Grape Seed Oil - is best for acne prone skin due to its ability to cleanse pores and balance oil production. It has also been said to tighten, tone and protect skin against sun damage, as well as stretch marks and wrinkles.
6. Hazelnut Oil - can be used as a massage oil, but has many skin nourishing benefits when used in skin care products, such as boosting collagen and reducing sun damage. A patch test is recommended for those sensitive to or who have an allergy to hazelnuts.
7. Jojoba Oil - massage oils, facial moisturizers, and bath oils because it absorbs easily in the skin and does not clog pores. It is also good for acne prone skin, and has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
8. Olive Oil - is great for moisturizing and cleansing dry skin. Its best used for massage oil, homemade soaps, facial cleansers and in home made haircare products.
9. Peanut Oil - should not be used by anyone with a peanut allergy. It is ultra hydrating helping prevent wrinkles, improving sun damaged skin, as well as a deep conditioning hair treatment. It is also often used in soap making.
10. Safflower Oil - has been said to moisturize dry skin help acne prone skin, scarring, wrinkles, and smoothing skin in general. It has properties that could be beneficial in soothing rashes, irritation and inflammation.
11. Sesame Oil - has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, and has been known to help with acne prone skin, scarring, and other skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
12. Sunflower Oil - is especially known for its ability to soothe irritated skin. It softens, moisturizes, and acts as a barrier to the skin, protecting it from toxins and germs that can cause infection.